Fall colors and Aurora Borealis in the Canadian Arctic
Tombstone Territorial Park is located just south of the Arctic Circle. The area encompasses a vast area of rugged mountain peaks and permafrost landforms. While the park is beautiful all year, it is spectacular during the very short autumn season when its varied flora erupts in shades of crimson and yellow. We have timed our visit to this area to coincide! Join us and our local guides as we seek out the most expansive landscapes and even (if we are lucky!) the dancing aurora borealis.
- Photograph the stunning alpine environment with gorgeous fall colors.
- Ideal season for photographing the aurora borealis against epic mountain backdrops.
- We will camp between mountain ranges that will have us in the perfect spot to photograph golden hour
- We have arranged two helicopter flights where you can photograph the area from the air.
- Fully outfitted camps with our own cooks and local guides.
Aug 31–Sep 6, 2025
You must be able to walk in an alpine environment over uneven tundra for distances up to 7 km carrying your camera gear.
Day 1: Arrival
Arrive at Dawson City Airport (YDA) before 3:00 PM on this day. Air travel delays are possible, so please consider arriving early, possibly the day prior. We don't want you to miss out on trip activities. Airport transfer is included on arrival.
You’ll be met at the airport and transferred to the hotel. After a meet-and-greet and dinner, we’ll visit one of several local vantage points to photograph the northern lights (weather permitting).
Day 2: Tombstone Territorial Park
After a hearty breakfast, we’ll begin our adventure into Tombstone Territorial Park. Our drive will meander through pine-covered foothills, then wind up to the steep snow-covered mountains marking the park’s entrance. We should see greens fade to light green and yellow as we gain elevation. We’ll begin photographing along the highway at one of many potential locations before we reach our base camp. Once in camp, everyone will have time to unpack and place their gear and luggage in their tent. Each tent will be equipped for rain, with a nice thick sleeping pad and sleeping bag. We’ll have time to eat dinner in camp before heading out (weather permitting) for more night photography.
If the weather cooperates, we’ll fly straight into Talus Lake on this first day! We would spend three days and two nights at Talus Lake before flying back to our base camp for the remainder of the nights.
Day 3–5: Talus Lake
We will have much to explore inside the park and further north in the vast tundra. There are no other towns here, just wilderness. We have also scheduled a helicopter to take us up into the park’s high peaks, including Tombstone Mountain.
Mornings will come early, as we’ll seek to photograph sunrises, but don’t worry, there will be plenty of hot coffee! After daybreak, we’ll have a hearty breakfast before setting out for a day of exploration. We’ll keep our schedule flexible to take advantage of the best light, but a hot dinner will always await us when we return.
Day 6: Depart Tombstone Territorial Park
If weather permits, we’ll take in one final sunrise from camp before packing up and driving back to Dawson City. We’ll be ready for our first hot showers and a little downtime to review images. After a group image review, we’ll enjoy one last dinner together at a restaurant in Dawson.
Day 7: Depart Dawson City
The workshop concludes after breakfast. You will be provided with a shuttle to the airport in Dawson.
You can book your return flight for anytime this day. Airport transfer is included on departure.
We have arranged two campsites for this tour. The first is a base camp along the Dempster Highway. It is comfortably outfitted with a covered table for shelter and group meals. Our outfitters will set up personal tents for sleeping. There will be plenty of home-cooked hot food and drinks.
The second camping location is at Talus Lake. It requires a helicopter flight to access. Once there, our outfitters will set up our tents. There is a sheltered area at this location as well.
Why Travel With Us
Our small-group trips are designed for photographers, with guides who know the best locations and offer instruction to help improve your photography. Read more about why you should travel with us.
Dates & Prices
- Double occupancy lodging. Single lodging is available with payment of a single supplement fee.
- Single lodging is only available at Dawson City hotel.
- All transportation during the tour, including internal flights.
- Airport transfers at arrival/departure and during the tour.
- All meals, soft drinks, water, and snacks during the tour.
- Helicopter flights to/from Talus Lake.
- All permits and entry fees.
- Instruction, guidance, and image reviews from our expert photography guides.
What's Not Included
- Airfare to and from destination, airport taxes, and excess baggage fees.
- Passport and visas, if applicable.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Travel medical & evacuation insurance (required).
- Trip cancellation insurance (optional but recommended).
- Gratuities for local guides & crew.
- Any accommodations or meals before or after the tour dates.
- Items of a personal nature.